The Five Secret Desires of an Avon Impulse Editor
By LUCIA MACRO,Â executive editor, Avon Books/Avon Impulse
Do you think you know what an Avon editor really wants? Weâ€™re pretty sure youâ€™ll be surprised â€“ because we sure were, when we saw what Lucia Macro, who heads up the Avon Impulse editorial team, presented on a submission wishlist â€“ exclusive to Romance Divas!
1) Send me your bachelors, your ranchers, your billionaires. My background is in contemporary romanceâ€”I miss the 21st Century! And while Iâ€™ll always love a good duke, I sometimes feel Iâ€™ve been hanging around with the Ton for too long. Seriouslyâ€”send us sexy contemporary romance with some really good-looking heroes. (And no they donâ€™t all have to be â€œBRBsâ€.)
2) I love drama! Everyoneâ€™s always telling me that Avon books have to be â€˜funny.â€™ This is so not true! Thereâ€™s a reason Iâ€™ve been watching all those Lifetime TV movies all these yearsâ€”I clearly need more drama in my world. (But your book doesnâ€™t have to be like a LTM, I promise!)
3) Bring Sexy Back. Please. Enough said. I think you know what to do.
4) Stop overthinking. I mean it. Stop it right now. Youâ€™re the romance readers. You know what you like. Iâ€™m not here measuring indentations, or taking point off for point of view, or counting every word. Make it end happily and make sure â€˜no animals are harmedâ€™.
5) More new writers please. I like working with new writers. I wish I could do it more often. But this the chance to do thatâ€”for both of us.
There you have it. Check out our guidelines at http://www.avonromance.com/impulse for details about word count and all that practical stuff.